The process that we follow is largely defined by the law. The legislation governing our work is the Parliamentary Constituencies Act 1986.
The process can be summarised as:
• we develop our Initial Proposals;
• we publish those proposals for 8 weeks of public consultation;
• we publish consultation responses online for public comment for a 6 week period. We hold our public hearings during this consultation period;
• we consider all responses and comments received during the first two consultation periods, and produce Revised Proposals as necessary;
• we publish any Revised Proposals for 4 weeks of public consultation;
• we consider any further responses made and amend our recommendations as necessary; and
• we submit our report to the Speaker.
As part of a review we produce a booklet explaining the process and the policies within which we work, which is available to download here
or a hard copy can be supplied on request.